Subject: linux-next: boot warning after merge of the mm tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:25:18 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the mm tree, today's linux-next qemu opbbt test (powerpc
pseries_le_defconfig) produced this warning:

vmap allocation for size 131072 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase size
swapper/0: vmalloc error: size 65536, vm_struct allocation failed, mode:0xcc0(GFP_KERNEL), nodemask=(null),cpuset=/,mems_allowed=0
CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 6.6.0-rc2-06327-g52a3bc18f36c #1
Hardware name: IBM pSeries (emulated by qemu) POWER8 (raw) 0x4d0200 0xf000004 of:SLOF,HEAD pSeries
Call Trace:
[c00000000478f780] [c000000001174678] dump_stack_lvl+0x6c/0x9c (unreliable)
[c00000000478f7b0] [c0000000004b7450] warn_alloc+0x150/0x210
[c00000000478f850] [c0000000004abcd0] __vmalloc_node_range+0x4c0/0xab0
[c00000000478f9d0] [c0000000005534dc] execmem_alloc+0xec/0x180
[c00000000478fa70] [c0000000002c1ef8] alloc_insn_page+0x28/0x80
[c00000000478fa90] [c0000000002c5624] __get_insn_slot+0x1c4/0x2a0
[c00000000478fad0] [c00000000005cd68] arch_prepare_kprobe+0x168/0x2e0
[c00000000478fb50] [c0000000002c69c0] register_kprobe+0x550/0x880
[c00000000478fbc0] [c000000002012968] arch_init_kprobes+0x28/0x3c
[c00000000478fbe0] [c000000002038a50] init_kprobes+0x118/0x1a0
[c00000000478fc50] [c000000000010bc0] do_one_initcall+0x80/0x300
[c00000000478fd20] [c000000002004848] kernel_init_freeable+0x1dc/0x3b4
[c00000000478fdf0] [c0000000000111b0] kernel_init+0x30/0x1a0
[c00000000478fe50] [c00000000000debc] ret_from_kernel_user_thread+0x14/0x1c
--- interrupt: 0 at 0x0
NIP:  0000000000000000 LR: 0000000000000000 CTR: 0000000000000000
REGS: c00000000478fe80 TRAP: 0000   Not tainted  (6.6.0-rc2-06327-g52a3bc18f36c)
MSR:  0000000000000000 <>  CR: 00000000  XER: 00000000
CFAR: 0000000000000000 IRQMASK: 0 
GPR00: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR04: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR08: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR12: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR16: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR20: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR24: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR28: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
NIP [0000000000000000] 0x0
LR [0000000000000000] 0x0
--- interrupt: 0
Mem-Info:
active_anon:0 inactive_anon:0 isolated_anon:0
 active_file:0 inactive_file:0 isolated_file:0
 unevictable:0 dirty:0 writeback:0
 slab_reclaimable:4 slab_unreclaimable:94
 mapped:0 shmem:0 pagetables:1
 sec_pagetables:0 bounce:0
 kernel_misc_reclaimable:0
 free:31798 free_pcp:10 free_cma:0
Node 0 active_anon:0kB inactive_anon:0kB active_file:0kB inactive_file:0kB unevictable:0kB isolated(anon):0kB isolated(file):0kB mapped:0kB dirty:0kB writeback:0kB shmem:0kB shmem_thp:0kB shmem_pmdmapped:0kB anon_thp:0kB writeback_tmp:0kB kernel_stack:272kB pagetables:64kB sec_pagetables:0kB all_unreclaimable? no
Node 0 Normal free:2035072kB boost:0kB min:0kB low:0kB high:0kB reserved_highatomic:0KB active_anon:0kB inactive_anon:0kB active_file:0kB inactive_file:0kB unevictable:0kB writepending:0kB present:2097152kB managed:2043904kB mlocked:0kB bounce:0kB free_pcp:640kB local_pcp:640kB free_cma:0kB
lowmem_reserve[]: 0 0 0
Node 0 Normal: 4*64kB (M) 5*128kB (UM) 6*256kB (ME) 6*512kB (UME) 6*1024kB (UME) 6*2048kB (UME) 5*4096kB (UME) 5*8192kB (ME) 119*16384kB (M) = 2035072kB
0 total pagecache pages
0 pages in swap cache
Free swap  = 0kB
Total swap = 0kB
32768 pages RAM
0 pages HighMem/MovableOnly
832 pages reserved
0 pages cma reserved

Introduced by commit (via bisection)

  2d278773305d ("powerpc: extend execmem_params for kprobes allocations")

I have reverted the following commits for today.

  be2e02ac422f ("bpf: remove CONFIG_BPF_JIT dependency on CONFIG_MODULES of")
  68f60fd96f9d ("kprobes: remove dependency on CONFIG_MODULES")
  2177ac117a8e ("x86/ftrace: enable dynamic ftrace without CONFIG_MODULES")
  3300c3af2009 ("arch: make execmem setup available regardless of CONFIG_MODULES")
  2d278773305d ("powerpc: extend execmem_params for kprobes allocations")

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell