Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the devicetree tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 07:58:47 +1100

Hi Rob,

On Thu, 7 Dec 2023 09:11:22 -0600 Rob Herring <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I'm sending out fixes for all these. I want to get the final patch
> ("of: Stop circularly including of_device.h and of_platform.h") for
> all this in next to get some better build coverage and catch any new
> drivers added. But if it is dropped for every new driver that breaks,
> I'll never get it in. Can you fix these up or just leave them broken?
> I can keep the fixes in my tree until they get applied by the
> corresponding subsystem.

These dependencies between trees are impossible to handle.  Please if
you really need the final patch in, then you must put all the necessary
fixes in the same branch.  There is no telling what order Linus (or I)
will merge the interdependent branches.

The alternative is to spray the needed fixes out to the other
subsystems and then put the final patch in after the merge window
closes or the next release.

I cannot "just leave them broken" because that will interfere with
other's trying to get their work done.  I will try fix up the newly
added drivers if they are obvious, but in the case of these include file
cleanups, that can be quite difficult sometimes.
-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell