Subject: Re: linux-next: trees being removed

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 09:13:53 +1100

Hi Jean,

On Tue, 06 Feb 2024 11:50:44 +0100 Jean Delvare <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2024-01-24 at 13:01 +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > 
> > Tree                    Last commit date
> >   URL
> >   commits (if any)
> > -----------------------------------------
> > (...)
> > dmi                     2022-09-23 14:53:14 +0200
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jdelvare/staging.git#dmi-for-next  
> 
> This is still where I would put updates to the DMI subsystem, but it
> turns out there haven't been any for some time now, and I'm not aware
> of any pending issue.

I am happy to restore it if you want.

> Out of curiosity, why do inactive branches bother you?

It is mostly just a way to get rid of abandoned trees.  Also, one of
the checks I do requires me to reference all the commits between the
merge base of each tree and Linus' tree.  If the base (and top commit)
of a tree has not been updated for a year, that means checking 40,000+
commits which takes a noticeable amount of time.  Also just merging
such a tree has a noticeable delay.  An empty tree (relative to Linus'
tree) doesn't cost much, of course.

> I can certainly update that branch if it makes your life easier.

Yeah, even just resetting it to Linus' tree at each -rc1 will help.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell