Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the drm tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2024 19:13:19 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the drm tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
allyesconfig) failed like this:

In file included from arch/powerpc/include/asm/mmu.h:144,
                 from arch/powerpc/include/asm/paca.h:18,
                 from arch/powerpc/include/asm/current.h:13,
                 from include/linux/sched.h:12,
                 from include/linux/ratelimit.h:6,
                 from include/linux/dev_printk.h:16,
                 from include/linux/device.h:15,
                 from include/linux/dma-mapping.h:8,
                 from drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/omap_gem.c:7:
drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/omap_gem.c: In function 'omap_gem_pin_tiler':
arch/powerpc/include/asm/page.h:25:33: error: conversion from 'long unsigned int' to 'u16' {aka 'short unsigned int'} changes value from '65536' to '0' [-Werror=overflow]
   25 | #define PAGE_SIZE               (ASM_CONST(1) << PAGE_SHIFT)
      |                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/omap_gem.c:758:42: note: in expansion of macro 'PAGE_SIZE'
  758 |                                          PAGE_SIZE);
      |                                          ^~~~~~~~~
drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/omap_gem.c: In function 'omap_gem_init':
arch/powerpc/include/asm/page.h:25:33: error: conversion from 'long unsigned int' to 'u16' {aka 'short unsigned int'} changes value from '65536' to '0' [-Werror=overflow]
   25 | #define PAGE_SIZE               (ASM_CONST(1) << PAGE_SHIFT)
      |                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drivers/gpu/drm/omapdrm/omap_gem.c:1504:65: note: in expansion of macro 'PAGE_SIZE'
 1504 |                         block = tiler_reserve_2d(fmts[i], w, h, PAGE_SIZE);
      |                                                                 ^~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

Exposed by commit

  dc6fcaaba5a5 ("drm/omap: Allow build with COMPILE_TEST=y")

PowerPC 64 bit uses 64k pages.

I have reverted that commit for today.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell