Subject: linux-next: build warning after merge of the rcu tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2024 14:21:06 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the rcu tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs) produced
this warning:

Documentation/RCU/Design/Data-Structures/Data-Structures.rst
:992: ERROR: Malformed table.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| **Quick Quiz**:                                                       |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Why not simply combine the ``->nesting`` and                 |
| ``->nmi_nesting`` counters into a single counter that just   |
| counts the number of reasons that the corresponding CPU is non-idle?  |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| **Answer**:                                                           |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Because this would fail in the presence of interrupts whose handlers  |
| never return and of handlers that manage to return from a made-up     |
| interrupt.                                                            |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Introduced by commits

  a33d8a2e99da ("context_tracking, rcu: Rename struct context_tracking .dynticks_nesting into .nesting")
  14feb0ad0671 ("context_tracking, rcu: Rename struct context_tracking .dynticks_nmi_nesting into .nmi_nesting")

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell