Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the mm tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 11:29:39 +1000

Hi Uros,

On Thu, 15 Aug 2024 09:42:51 +0200 Uros Bizjak <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > Caused by commit
> >
> >   8e53757638ec ("err.h: add ERR_PTR_PCPU(), PTR_ERR_PCPU() and IS_ERR_PCPU() functions")
> >
> > Does include/linux/err.h really need to include asm/percpu.h?  __percpu is
> > defined in compiler_types.h which is included in every c code compile.  
> 
> Currently it is not needed, but with the proposed patch [1]
> 
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]/
> 
> that repurposes __percpu to also include percpu named address
> qualifier, it will be needed, because per_cpu_qual will be defined in
> include/asm-generic/percpu.h.

How about putting these new functions in a new header file
(err_percpu.h?) and including that where needed?  Are there going to be
many places that need these new functions?

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell