Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the perf tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2025 10:05:05 +1100

Hi all,

After merging the perf tree, today's linux-next build (native perf)
failed like this:

In file included from tools/perf/arch/powerpc/include/syscall_table.h:5,
                 from util/syscalltbl.c:16:
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:16:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   16 |         [13] = "time",
      |                ^~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:16:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[13]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:22:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   22 |         [18] = "oldstat",
      |                ^~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:22:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[18]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:27:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   27 |         [22] = "umount",
      |                ^~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:27:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[22]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:31:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   31 |         [25] = "stime",
      |                ^~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:31:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[25]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:35:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   35 |         [28] = "oldfstat",
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:35:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[28]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:67:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   67 |         [59] = "oldolduname",
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:67:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[59]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:76:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   76 |         [67] = "sigaction",
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:76:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[67]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:82:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   82 |         [72] = "sigsuspend",
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:82:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[72]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:84:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   84 |         [73] = "sigpending",
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:84:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[73]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:88:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   88 |         [76] = "getrlimit",
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:88:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[76]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:95:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   95 |         [82] = "select",
      |                ^~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:95:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[82]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:98:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
   98 |         [84] = "oldlstat",
      |                ^~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:98:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[84]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:104:16: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  104 |         [89] = "readdir",
      |                ^~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:104:16: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[89]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:125:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  125 |         [109] = "olduname",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:125:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[109]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:136:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  136 |         [119] = "sigreturn",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:136:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[119]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:142:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  142 |         [124] = "adjtimex",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:142:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[124]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:145:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  145 |         [126] = "sigprocmask",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:145:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[126]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:156:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  156 |         [136] = "personality",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:156:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[136]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:182:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  182 |         [161] = "sched_rr_get_interval",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:182:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[161]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:184:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  184 |         [162] = "nanosleep",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:184:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[162]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:202:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  202 |         [179] = "pread64",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:202:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[179]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:204:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  204 |         [180] = "pwrite64",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:204:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[180]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:211:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  211 |         [186] = "sendfile",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:211:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[186]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:217:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  217 |         [191] = "readahead",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:217:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[191]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:241:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  241 |         [221] = "futex",
      |                 ^~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:241:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[221]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:248:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  248 |         [229] = "io_getevents",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:248:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[229]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:253:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  253 |         [233] = "fadvise64",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:253:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[233]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:262:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  262 |         [241] = "timer_settime",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:262:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[241]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:264:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  264 |         [242] = "timer_gettime",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:264:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[242]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:268:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  268 |         [245] = "clock_settime",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:268:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[245]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:270:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  270 |         [246] = "clock_gettime",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:270:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[246]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:272:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  272 |         [247] = "clock_getres",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:272:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[247]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:274:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  274 |         [248] = "clock_nanosleep",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:274:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[248]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:278:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  278 |         [251] = "utimes",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:278:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[251]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:284:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  284 |         [256] = "sys_debug_setcontext",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:284:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[256]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:318:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  318 |         [290] = "utimesat",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:318:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[290]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:320:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  320 |         [291] = "newfstatat",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:320:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[291]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:334:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  334 |         [304] = "utimensat",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:334:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[304]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:339:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  339 |         [308] = "sync_file_range2",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:339:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[308]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:343:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  343 |         [311] = "timerfd_settime",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:343:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[311]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:345:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  345 |         [312] = "timerfd_gettime",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:345:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[312]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:377:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  377 |         [343] = "recvmmsg",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:377:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[343]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:382:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  382 |         [347] = "clock_adjtime",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:382:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[347]')
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:399:17: error: initialized field overwritten [-Werror=override-init]
  399 |         [363] = "switch_endian",
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/home/sfr/next/perf/arch/powerpc/include/generated/asm/syscalls_64.h:399:17: note: (near initialization for 'syscalltbl[363]')
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

Presumably caused by commit

  7eca67cf3dab ("perf tools powerpc: Use generic syscall table scripts")

This is a native powerpc build of perf on a little endian host.

I have used the perf tree from next-20250109 for today.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell