Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the crypto tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2025 12:22:22 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the crypto tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64
allmocdonfig) failed like this:

x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `__chacha20poly1305_encrypt':
chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a690e1): undefined reference to `poly1305_init'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a690f1): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a69145): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a69182): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a69192): undefined reference to `poly1305_final'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6922d): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a69246): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `__chacha20poly1305_decrypt':
chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a69480): undefined reference to `poly1305_init'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a69490): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a694c8): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a69505): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a69510): undefined reference to `poly1305_final'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a695eb): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a69604): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `chacha20poly1305_crypt_sg_inplace':
chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c3f6): undefined reference to `poly1305_init'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c555): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c576): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c5af): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c5d8): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c617): undefined reference to `poly1305_final'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c7c6): undefined reference to `poly1305_final'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c7f9): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c822): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c854): undefined reference to `poly1305_update'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: chacha20poly1305.c:(.text+0x1a6c888): undefined reference to `poly1305_final'

Caused by commit

  10a6d72ea355 ("crypto: lib/poly1305 - Use block-only interface")

and maybe

  a298765e28ad ("crypto: chacha20poly1305 - Use lib/crypto poly1305")

I have used the crypto tree from next-20250505 for today.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell