Subject: [PATCH v3 0/3] Fix build issue when CONFIG_MODULES is not set

From: Pratap Nirujogi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2025 17:31:38 -0400

When CONFIG_MODULES is not defined, 'adap->owner->name' used in amd_isp4 platform
driver will not be valid and is resulting in build failures.

../drivers/platform/x86/amd/amd_isp4.c: In function 'is_isp_i2c_adapter':
../drivers/platform/x86/amd/amd_isp4.c:154:35: error: invalid use of undefined type 'struct module'
  154 |         return !strcmp(adap->owner->name, "i2c_designware_amdisp");
      |                                   ^~

To fix this issue, need to make changes both in platform and i2c driver modules.

* In the amd_isp4 x86/platform driver, replace 'adap->owner->name' with 'adap->name', this removes
the hard dependency on 'struct module'.
* In i2c amdisp driver, initialize unique name to i2c adapter and also make a change in
i2c-designware-common to avoid overwriting with generic name when adap->name[] is already set.

---

Changes v2 -> v3:

* Update commit text for patch 1/3

Changes v1 -> v2:

* Replace snprintf with scnprintf
* Add new isp4 specific misc header file to include the adapter name
* Remove 'Fixes' and 'Link' tags from i2c patches

---

Pratap Nirujogi (3):
  i2c: designware: Initialize adapter name only when not set
  i2c: amd-isp: Initialize unique adpater name
  platform/x86: Use i2c adapter name to fix build errors

 drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-amdisp.c |  2 ++
 drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-designware-master.c |  5 +++--
 drivers/platform/x86/amd/amd_isp4.c        |  3 ++-
 include/linux/soc/amd/isp4_misc.h          | 12 ++++++++++++
 4 files changed, 19 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 include/linux/soc/amd/isp4_misc.h

-- 
2.43.0