Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the kbuild tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2025 16:12:23 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the kbuild tree, today's linux-next build (i386 defconfig)
failed like this:

ld: .vmlinux.export.o: in function `__ksymtab___builtin_memcmp':
.vmlinux.export.c:(___ksymtab+__builtin_memcmp+0x0): undefined reference to `__builtin_memcmp'

Caused by commit

  c4b487ddc51f ("modpost: Create modalias for builtin modules")

I have reverted that commit, along with its parent and child, for
today.  It's parent commit

  66ef3890c628 ("modpost: Add modname to mod_device_table alias")

generated this warning in the i386 defconfig build:

scripts/mod/file2alias.c: In function ‘handle_moddevtable’:
scripts/mod/file2alias.c:1480:25: warning: variable ‘modnamelen’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
 1480 |         size_t typelen, modnamelen;
      |                         ^~~~~~~~~~

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell