Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the mfd tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2025 15:41:22 +1000

Hi all,

After merging the mfd tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
failed like this:

x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_get':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a7c29): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_get_direction':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a7db2): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_irq_sync_unlock':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a8166): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_write'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a82ef): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a8372): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_irq':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a8c27): undefined reference to `stmpe_block_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a8f05): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_write'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a8f89): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_write'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_disable':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a91dc): undefined reference to `stmpe_disable'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_set':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a93a4): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_write'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a941e): undefined reference to `stmpe_set_bits'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_direction_output':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a95a4): undefined reference to `stmpe_set_bits'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_direction_input':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a9705): undefined reference to `stmpe_set_bits'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_request':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a983e): undefined reference to `stmpe_set_altfunc'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_dbg_show_one':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a99c0): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a9b8c): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a9bb1): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a9c61): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21a9e6c): undefined reference to `stmpe_reg_read'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: vmlinux.o: in function `stmpe_gpio_probe':
gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21aa5b2): undefined reference to `stmpe_enable'
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld: gpio-stmpe.c:(.text+0x21aa83e): undefined reference to `stmpe_disable'

Presumably caused by commit

  e160dd0ac8c3 ("mfd: stmpe: Allow building as module")

I have used the mfd tree from next-20250903 for today.

Note that commit

 03db20aaa3ba ("gpio: stmpe: Allow to compile as a module")

is in the gpio-brgl tree which has not been merged into linux-next at
this point.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell