Subject: linux-next: manual merge of the vfs tree with the vfs-brauner tree

From: Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2025 08:27:31 +1100

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the vfs tree got a conflict in:

  Documentation/filesystems/porting.rst

between commit:

  fe497f0759e0 ("VFS: change vfs_mkdir() to unlock on failure.")

from the vfs-brauner tree and commit:

  fc45aee66223 ("get rid of kill_litter_super()")

from the vfs tree.

I fixed it up (see below) and can carry the fix as necessary. This
is now fixed as far as linux-next is concerned, but any non trivial
conflicts should be mentioned to your upstream maintainer when your tree
is submitted for merging.  You may also want to consider cooperating
with the maintainer of the conflicting tree to minimise any particularly
complex conflicts.

-- 
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

diff --cc Documentation/filesystems/porting.rst
index d33429294252,4921b3b0662a..000000000000
--- a/Documentation/filesystems/porting.rst
+++ b/Documentation/filesystems/porting.rst
@@@ -1314,11 -1314,5 +1314,18 @@@ instead
  
  **mandatory**
  
 +vfs_mkdir() now returns a dentry - the one returned by ->mkdir().  If
 +that dentry is different from the dentry passed in, including if it is
 +an IS_ERR() dentry pointer, the original dentry is dput().
 +
 +When vfs_mkdir() returns an error, and so both dputs() the original
 +dentry and doesn't provide a replacement, it also unlocks the parent.
 +Consequently the return value from vfs_mkdir() can be passed to
 +end_creating() and the parent will be unlocked precisely when necessary.
++
++---
++
++**mandatory**
++
+ kill_litter_super() is gone; convert to DCACHE_PERSISTENT use (as all
+ in-tree filesystems have done).