Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the ftrace tree with the mm-nonmm-stable tree

From: Steven Rostedt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2026 12:14:05 -0500

On Mon, 9 Feb 2026 17:07:18 +0000
Mark Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:

> FWIW that diffstat looked a lot worse than it was since it was one of
> these git shows as an empty diff and I used diff -c instead which
> usually looks more alarming - the change was trivial code motion
> deleting code in the ftrace tree with the actual fixup being very small
> but in a different file.  Was a bit weird that the parameter removal
> didn't go via the ftrace tree though.

If you look at the change log of the commit in the mm tree, you'll see why
it went there:

    This fixes a header recursion issue where using strlen() in the macro
    calling __trace_puts() requires adding #include <linux/string.h> in order
    to use strlen().  Removing the use of strlen() from the header fixes the
    recursion issue.

The mm tree took code to move things around, and by moving the
trace_printk() into its own headers caused the build to fail!

I guess I could have taken the moving of the trace_printk() code in my
tree. But it was part of a series that did other moves so I didn't
recommend it.

-- Steve