Subject: [linux-next20250912] Build warnings at drivers/net/ethernet/intel/idpf/xdp.c:6

From: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2025 18:39:33 +0530

Greetings!!!

IBM CI has reported a build warning on IBM Power Server, on 
linux-next20250912 kernel.

gcc version 11.5.0 20240719 (Red Hat 11.5.0-2) (GCC)

GNU ld version 2.35.2-54.el9

Attached is the .config file.

Warnings:

In file included from drivers/net/ethernet/intel/idpf/xdp.c:6:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/idpf/xdp.h: In function ‘idpf_xdp_tx_xmit’:
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/idpf/xdp.h:28:20: note: the ABI of passing 
aggregates with 16-byte alignment has changed in GCC 5
    28 | static inline void idpf_xdp_tx_xmit(struct libeth_xdp_tx_desc 
desc, u32 i,
       |                    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Git bisect is pointing below commit as the first bad commit.

first bad commit: [cba102cd719029a10bda1d0ca00ed646796f1f21] idpf: add 
support for XDP on Rx

Git Bisect log:

git bisect start
# status: waiting for both good and bad commits
# bad: [5f540c4aade9f1d58fb7b9490b4b7d5214ec9746] Add linux-next 
specific files for 20250910
git bisect bad 5f540c4aade9f1d58fb7b9490b4b7d5214ec9746
# status: waiting for good commit(s), bad commit known
# good: [76eeb9b8de9880ca38696b2fb56ac45ac0a25c6c] Linux 6.17-rc5
git bisect good 76eeb9b8de9880ca38696b2fb56ac45ac0a25c6c
# bad: [4be1ecb36fc0bcbd77c8b09619e2da8b0870b5bf] Merge branch 'master' 
of 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bluetooth/bluetooth-next.git
git bisect bad 4be1ecb36fc0bcbd77c8b09619e2da8b0870b5bf
# good: [7d8f5f9be24b158bc3613d3588d7824bb2868ed8] Merge branch 
'fs-next' of linux-next
git bisect good 7d8f5f9be24b158bc3613d3588d7824bb2868ed8
# good: [1209b38e4edaa0d5a6da8270d2bc4d94c397947f] Merge branch 'next' 
of git://linuxtv.org/media-ci/media-pending.git
git bisect good 1209b38e4edaa0d5a6da8270d2bc4d94c397947f
# good: [35dface61cfed92bf90f68b38b9f8a1d6c30d7df] net: ethernet: 
qualcomm: QCOM_PPE should depend on ARCH_QCOM
git bisect good 35dface61cfed92bf90f68b38b9f8a1d6c30d7df
# bad: [4ea83b75735118eac40e6f76495d4a85373bd851] Merge branch '200GbE' 
of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tnguy/next-queue
git bisect bad 4ea83b75735118eac40e6f76495d4a85373bd851
# good: [cc621faa9ca9a5dcd56f5b4815e1d8c0e6eb88f9] Merge branch 
'eth-fbnic-support-queue-api-and-zero-copy-rx'
git bisect good cc621faa9ca9a5dcd56f5b4815e1d8c0e6eb88f9
# bad: [88ca0c738c4159ce87893782b6dd964b5aa01f6e] idpf: add XDP RSS hash 
hint
git bisect bad 88ca0c738c4159ce87893782b6dd964b5aa01f6e
# good: [3406114a303ea37a92dc32be0e75095a78e7a92b] sh_eth: Convert to 
DEFINE_SIMPLE_DEV_PM_OPS()
git bisect good 3406114a303ea37a92dc32be0e75095a78e7a92b
# good: [c6142e1913de563ab772f7b0e4ae78d6de9cc5b1] Merge branch 
'10g-qxgmii-for-aqr412c-felix-dsa-and-lynx-pcs-driver'
git bisect good c6142e1913de563ab772f7b0e4ae78d6de9cc5b1
# good: [9d39447051a0decaf90ba520611ee0e4644a94d5] idpf: remove SW 
marker handling from NAPI
git bisect good 9d39447051a0decaf90ba520611ee0e4644a94d5
# good: [705457e7211f22c49b410eb25e83cef8a61bd560] idpf: implement 
XDP_SETUP_PROG in ndo_bpf for splitq
git bisect good 705457e7211f22c49b410eb25e83cef8a61bd560
# bad: [cba102cd719029a10bda1d0ca00ed646796f1f21] idpf: add support for 
XDP on Rx
git bisect bad cba102cd719029a10bda1d0ca00ed646796f1f21
# good: [a4d755d1040a49014b52de286c5f535e20788aa3] idpf: use generic 
functions to build xdp_buff and skb
git bisect good a4d755d1040a49014b52de286c5f535e20788aa3
# first bad commit: [cba102cd719029a10bda1d0ca00ed646796f1f21] idpf: add 
support for XDP on Rx

I am not sure, if these are someting that needs to treated as warnings 
and to be fixed. In case yes, and if you happen to fix this, please add 
below tag.

Reported-by: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>

Regards,

Venkat.