Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/11] Fix up more asm/system.h fallout

From: David Howells <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 06:30:30 +0100

Paul Gortmaker <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Like others, I was surprised it didn't get a soak in linux-next
> before being merged

I don't think that would've helped - unless Linus took all of linux-next into
his tree.  The problem is that there were a substantial number of differences
between Linus-vanilla and linux-next (obviously), even mid-window.

To be fair, Linus had to fix up my patch set to apply to his vanilla tree, but
I did ask him to to pull the patches later in the merge window and hopefully
give me a chance to fix them up again before he did so.  But I suppose arch
tree breakage was to be expected anyway in some arches.

However, I think the better way to have done this would've been to have the
arch-specific patches go through the arch trees first (and, indeed, Blackfin
did this and I was able to drop their patch from my set) - and then have the
generic patches go at the end.

Even better might've been to add a #warning into each asm/system.h in this
merge window and defer the final deletion to the next merge window.

David