Subject: [linux-next]Build Failure: kernel/watchdog.c:936:2: error: too many arguments

From: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2025 20:39:26 +0530

Hello,

I am observing below build failure on IBM Power8 server with 
linux-next-20250424 repo.

This issue seems to be introduced by the below commit. After reverting 
the below commit, kernel build is successful.

Bad Commit: 6b07f9a0fa4126a2ded0329baa8fe26863db62ef : watchdog: fix 
watchdog may detect false positive of softlockup

Note: To hit this issue, one should first resolve this [1] 
<https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/>

Repo: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git

Branch: master

GCC: 8.5.0 20210514

ldd (GNU libc) 2.28

Attached is the .config file.

Errors:

kernel/watchdog.c: In function 'lockup_detector_reconfigure':
kernel/watchdog.c:936:2: error: too many arguments to function 
'__lockup_detector_reconfigure'
   __lockup_detector_reconfigure(false);
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kernel/watchdog.c:926:13: note: declared here
  static void __lockup_detector_reconfigure(void)
              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kernel/watchdog.c: In function 'lockup_detector_setup':
kernel/watchdog.c:940:2: error: too many arguments to function 
'__lockup_detector_reconfigure'
   __lockup_detector_reconfigure(false);
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kernel/watchdog.c:926:13: note: declared here
  static void __lockup_detector_reconfigure(void)
              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kernel/watchdog.c: In function 'proc_watchdog_update':
kernel/watchdog.c:962:2: error: too many arguments to function 
'__lockup_detector_reconfigure'
   __lockup_detector_reconfigure(thresh_changed);
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kernel/watchdog.c:926:13: note: declared here
  static void __lockup_detector_reconfigure(void)
              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you happen to fix this, please add below tag.

Reported-by: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>

Regards,

Venkat.