Subject: [next-20260122] Build failure on IBM Power Server

From: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2026 09:45:52 +0530

Greetings!!

IBM CI has reported build failure of 20260122 on IBM Power server.

Error:

ERROR: modpost: "phy_get_rx_polarity" [drivers/net/phy/air_en8811h.ko] 
undefined!
ERROR: modpost: "phy_get_tx_polarity" [drivers/net/phy/air_en8811h.ko] 
undefined!
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.modpost:147: Module.symvers] Error 1
make[1]: *** [/home/upstreamci/linux/Makefile:2040: modpost] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:248: __sub-make] Error 2

IBM CI has bisected this issue and below is the bisection log.

git bisect log
git bisect log
git bisect start
# status: waiting for both good and bad commits
# good: [24d479d26b25bce5faea3ddd9fa8f3a6c3129ea7] Linux 6.19-rc6
git bisect good 24d479d26b25bce5faea3ddd9fa8f3a6c3129ea7
# status: waiting for bad commit, 1 good commit known
# bad: [a0c666c25aeefd16f4b088c6549a6fb6b65a8a1d] Add linux-next 
specific files for 20260122
git bisect bad a0c666c25aeefd16f4b088c6549a6fb6b65a8a1d
# good: [2574bcf1765ec13bf3ef469aa5b15cce293aebb6] Merge branch 'master' 
of 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/bluetooth/bluetooth-next.git
git bisect good 2574bcf1765ec13bf3ef469aa5b15cce293aebb6
# good: [2ad38467d20c16f38d0cffad711ef4f4acdb8b29] Merge branch 
'for-next' of 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/axboe/linux.git
git bisect good 2ad38467d20c16f38d0cffad711ef4f4acdb8b29
# good: [a954370fea56ee1bf995524255a34da7a1ddb524] Merge branch 
'for-next' of 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/pdx86/platform-drivers-x86.git
git bisect good a954370fea56ee1bf995524255a34da7a1ddb524
# good: [c7ec480f05dd0185a26f190471905ddf1215bc52] Merge branch 
'staging-next' of 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git
git bisect good c7ec480f05dd0185a26f190471905ddf1215bc52
# good: [4427398fed2b8e07a62fd4f3f6fcf9ffcf56829a] Merge branch 
'for-next' of 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linusw/linux-pinctrl.git
git bisect good 4427398fed2b8e07a62fd4f3f6fcf9ffcf56829a
# good: [852ccea1ca3144beb7003976d4fa04dbf81b307b] Merge branch 'next' 
of https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mic/linux.git
git bisect good 852ccea1ca3144beb7003976d4fa04dbf81b307b
# good: [f174dabd307dfd92edacb34e8bee0384daa1bd2e] Merge branch 'next' 
of https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lenb/linux.git
git bisect good f174dabd307dfd92edacb34e8bee0384daa1bd2e
# good: [e31f3c967c66cf03eecdf50fe138d05f635e3698] doc: Add housekeeping 
documentation
git bisect good e31f3c967c66cf03eecdf50fe138d05f635e3698
# good: [0cc83fc23debf3e2df19c4510a77fe2d60ab2693] gpu: nova-core: don't 
print raw PMU table entries
git bisect good 0cc83fc23debf3e2df19c4510a77fe2d60ab2693
# good: [75df6953fed6b7274f9c5080925ae4c8d3e424e6] Merge branch 
'for-next' of 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/frederic/linux-dynticks.git
git bisect good 75df6953fed6b7274f9c5080925ae4c8d3e424e6
# good: [086714bbb96f63785da251e1f8d1ce3e716a6e42] Merge tag 'v6.19-rc5' 
into drm-rust-next
git bisect good 086714bbb96f63785da251e1f8d1ce3e716a6e42
# good: [6ea52b6d8f33ae627f4dcf43b12b6e713a8b9331] drm/tyr: use 
read_poll_timeout
git bisect good 6ea52b6d8f33ae627f4dcf43b12b6e713a8b9331
# good: [b956937ce78fae5fa785f6a95f291e2137502c5e] drm: tyr: Mark BROKEN
git bisect good b956937ce78fae5fa785f6a95f291e2137502c5e
# first bad commit: [a0c666c25aeefd16f4b088c6549a6fb6b65a8a1d] Add 
linux-next specific files for 20260122

If you happen to fix, this please add below tag.

Reported-by: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>

Regards,

Venkat.