Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Oct 9

From: "Aithal, Srikanth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2024 14:44:57 +0530

On 10/9/2024 2:34 PM, Aithal, Srikanth wrote:
> On 10/9/2024 12:50 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> News: this release fails my very simple qemu boot test.  It looks normal
>> up to user mode and I even get a login prompt, but when I log in I get
>> dumped back to the login prompt - presumably the shell is failing to run.
>>
> 
> I have hit same issue on host running Ubuntu 22.04.x. But same is not 
> hit with RHEL 9.x host. Attaching both kconfigs here for reference.
> Thanks,
> Srikanth Aithal <[email-masked]>

Here is the continuation: on RHEL server I was able to get the login but 
cannot run anything. I see lot of segfaults like below in the dmesg:

[  574.086214] agetty[3224]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f44c535e7d1 sp 
00007ffe1055e4b8 error 4 in libc.so.6[15e7d1,7f44c5228000+175000] likely 
on CPU 87 (core 23, socket 0)
[  574.086482] agetty[3252]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f6f26d5e7d1 sp 
00007ffeea26e4d8 error 4 in libc.so.6[15e7d1,7f6f26c28000+175000] likely 
on CPU 68 (core 4, socket 0)
[  574.101001] Code: 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 90 f3 0f 1e fa 48 83 fa 01 
7e 57 c4 41 01 ef ff 89 f8 09 f0 c1 e0 14 3d 00 00 00 f8 0f 87 a3 03 00 
00 <c5> fe 6f 07 c5 fd 74 0e c5 85 74 d0 c5 ed df c9 c5 fd d7 c9 48 83

[  574.135967] Code: 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 90 f3 0f 1e fa 48 83 fa 01 
7e 57 c4 41 01 ef ff 89 f8 09 f0 c1 e0 14 3d 00 00 00 f8 0f 87 a3 03 00 
00 <c5> fe 6f 07 c5 fd 74 0e c5 85 74 d0 c5 ed df c9 c5 fd d7 c9 48 83
[  579.242329] agetty[3342]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fd69915e7d1 sp 
00007fffe0259bb8 error 4 in libc.so.6[15e7d1,7fd699028000+175000] likely 
on CPU 76 (core 12, socket 0)
[  579.242580] agetty[3346]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f55f355e7d1 sp 
00007ffe249bf038 error 4
[  579.257106] Code: 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 90 f3 0f 1e fa 48 83 fa 01 
7e 57 c4 41 01 ef ff 89 f8 09 f0 c1 e0 14 3d 00 00 00 f8 0f 87 a3 03 00 
00 <c5> fe 6f 07 c5 fd 74 0e c5 85 74 d0 c5 ed df c9 c5 fd d7 c9 48 83
[  579.257106]  in libc.so.6[15e7d1,7f55f3428000+175000] likely on CPU 
85 (core 21, socket 0)
[  579.292123] Code: 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 90 f3 0f 1e fa 48 83 fa 01 
7e 57 c4 41 01 ef ff 89 f8 09 f0 c1 e0 14 3d 00 00 00 f8 0f 87 a3 03 00 
00 <c5> fe 6f 07 c5 fd 74 0e c5 85 74 d0 c5 ed df c9 c5 fd d7 c9 48 83
[  584.410191] agetty[3374]: segfault at 0 ip 00007effc575e7d1 sp 
00007ffc0408fb28 error 4 in libc.so.6[15e7d1,7effc5628000+175000] likely 
on CPU 0 (core 0, socket 0)

Attaching the dmesg.

Thanks,
Srikanth Aithal <[email-masked]>

> 
>> Changes since 20241008:
>>
>> The vfs-brauner tree lost its build failure.
>>
>> The wireless-next tree gained conflicts against Linus' tree.  It also
>> gained a build failure for which I revered a commit.
>>
>> The amdgpu tree lost its build failure.
>>
>> The tip tree gained a build failure for which I reverted a topic branch.
>>
>> The pinctrl tree still had its build failure, so I used the version
>> from next-20241004.
>>
>> The kunit-next tree gained a conflict against the mm tree.
>>
>> Non-merge commits (relative to Linus' tree): 2906
>>   4083 files changed, 105658 insertions(+), 74689 deletions(-)
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> I have created today's linux-next tree at
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
>> (patches at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/next/ ).  If you
>> are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use "git pull"
>> to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release with the
>> old one.  You should use "git fetch" and checkout or reset to the new
>> master.
>>
>> You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
>> file in the source.  There is also the merge.log file in the Next
>> directory.  Between each merge, the tree was built with a ppc64_defconfig
>> for powerpc, an allmodconfig for x86_64, a multi_v7_defconfig for arm
>> and a native build of tools/perf. After the final fixups (if any), I do
>> an x86_64 modules_install followed by builds for x86_64 allnoconfig,
>> powerpc allnoconfig (32 and 64 bit), ppc44x_defconfig, allyesconfig
>> and pseries_le_defconfig and i386, arm64, s390, sparc and sparc64
>> defconfig and htmldocs. And finally, a simple boot test of the powerpc
>> pseries_le_defconfig kernel in qemu (with and without kvm enabled).
>>
>> Below is a summary of the state of the merge.
>>
>> I am currently merging 377 trees (counting Linus' and 140 trees of bug
>> fix patches pending for the current merge release).
>>
>> Stats about the size of the tree over time can be seen at
>> http://neuling.org/linux-next-size.html .
>>
>> Status of my local build tests will be at
>> http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/linux-next .  If maintainers want to give
>> advice about cross compilers/configs that work, we are always open to add
>> more builds.
>>
>> Thanks to Randy Dunlap for doing many randconfig builds.  And to Paul
>> Gortmaker for triage and bug fixes.
>>