Subject: [next-20260130] scripts/sign-file: build failure on OpenSSL < CMS_NO_SIGNING_TIME

From: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2026 10:06:41 +0530

Greetings!!!

IBM CI has reported a build failure with next-20260130 repo.

Failure:

scripts/sign-file.c: In function ‘main’:
scripts/sign-file.c:282:25: error: ‘CMS_NO_SIGNING_TIME’ undeclared 
(first use in this function)
   282 |                         CMS_NO_SIGNING_TIME |
       |                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scripts/sign-file.c:282:25: note: each undeclared identifier is reported 
only once for each function it appears in
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.host:114: scripts/sign-file] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [/home/upstreamci/linux/Makefile:1315: scripts] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** [Makefile:248: __sub-make] Error 2

After reverting the commit d7afd65b4acc7, build is successful.

Attached is the .config file.

If you happen to fix this issue, add below tag.

Reported-by: Venkat Rao Bagalkote <[email-masked]>

Regards,

Venkat.