Subject: Re: linux-next: build warning

From: Jason Wessel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:09:35 -0500

Thanks Stephen,

My apologies for introducing the error.  This particular patch had not
undergone, final testing before making it to the linux-next tree (IE
checkpatch, boot regression, sparse, code inspection sanity).  It
accidentally got pushed while testing all the script changes from
"git-foo" to "git foo".

As a side note, checkpatch tells one to use strict_strtoul instead of
simple_strtoul, but they are obviously not "pin compatible". :-)

Cheers,
Jason.

Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> The current linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig) gives this warning:
>
> drivers/char/tty_io.c: In function 'tty_find_polling_driver':
> drivers/char/tty_io.c:307: warning: passing argument 2 of 'strict_strtoul' makes integer from pointer without a cast
> drivers/char/tty_io.c:307: warning: passing argument 3 of 'strict_strtoul' makes pointer from integer without a cast
>
> Which points to an actual bug introduced by commit
> 8a89d640448c261c248594511c72db0569725058 ("kgdboc,tty: Fix tty polling
> search to use name correctly") from the kgdb tree.
>
> simple_strtol() and strict_strtoul() take different parameters and have
> different return values.
>
> Warnings are important!  Please take a more care.
>
> I will revert that commit from linux-next for today.
>