Subject: Re: linux-next: tree build failure

From: "Jan Beulich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 08:27:51 +0100

>>> Hollis Blanchard <[email-masked]> 15.10.09 00:57 >>>
>On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 12:14 -0700, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>> Rusty's version of BUILD_BUG_ON() does indeed fix the build break, and
>> also exposes the bug in kvmppc_account_exit_stat(). So to recap:
>> 
>> original: built but didn't work
>> Jan's: doesn't build
>> Rusty's: builds and works
>> 
>> Where do you want to go from here?
>
>Jan, what are your thoughts? Your BUILD_BUG_ON patch has broken the
>build, and we still need to fix it.

My perspective is that it just uncovered already existing brokenness. And
honestly, I won't be able to get to look into this within the next days. (And
btw., when I run into issues with other people's code changes, quite
frequently I'm told to propose a patch, so I'm also having some
philosophical problem understanding why I can't simply expect the same
when people run into issues with changes I made, especially in cases like
this where it wasn't me introducing the broken code.) So, if this can wait
for a couple of days, I can try to find time to look into this. Otherwise, I'd
rely on someone running into the actual issue to implement a solution.

Jan