Subject: Re: linux-next: alacrity tree build failure

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:41:05 -0800

On 11/23/09 23:58, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Today's linux-next build (x86_6 _allmodconfig) failed like this:
>
> drivers/vbus/built-in.o:(.data+0x0): multiple definition of `dev_attr_modalias'
> drivers/xen/built-in.o:(.data+0x46d0): first defined here
>
> Caused by commit 59aa8f441d27c8470764a513dafa46a77f33e953 ("vbus: add
> autoprobe capability to guest").  The DEVICE_ATTR(modalias ...) should
> probably be static.  I should probably be static in
> drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe.c as well.
>   

All those DEVICE_ATTR()s should be static in that case.  Indeed, I guess
they should be almost universally?  Should DEVICE_ATTR() include the
static?  (Hm, almost every instance in the kernel already has static; it
should probably have been part of the definition from the start, but
changing it now would cause a lot of churn.)

    J