Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/4 tip/sched/core] sched: rename preempt_notifier to sched_notifier and always enable it

From: Tejun Heo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 15:38:02 +0900

Hello,

11/27/2009 03:21 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> No, I'm not gonna do that.  Just patches to reorganize code so that 
>> unnecessary conflicts won't occur.  There will be NO functional 
>> changes.
> 
> Not without the other changes - which you want to do too, right?

The extra things I want can stay in a devel branch until notifiers get
cleaned up and it will only be a few patches which aren't very likely
to cause conflicts when it gets exported for linux-next or other
testing branches.

> Please send all sched.c modifications via the scheduler tree. Going
> via other trees is fine when there's agreement by the maintainers -
> but this is one of the rare cases where that's not the case.

Yeah, sure.  So, two patchsets.  One for sched/core doing pure
reorganization without any functional changes.  The other for
sched/notifier (or whatever name you would prefer) which is purely for
development and testing and will not be pushed to Linus unless it
receives notifier framework cleanup.  wq#for-next will pull from
sched/notifier and be exported to linux-next but it will never be
submitted to Linus until sched/notifier is cleaned up.  Am I
understanding it correctly?

Thanks.

-- 
tejun