Subject: Re: patchwork.kernel.org down

From: "J.H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:00:59 -0800

On 12/20/2010 12:49 PM, David Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 09:12:58PM +0100, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> 
>> just FYI: http://patchwork.kernel.org/ is down!

More excitement from https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20702

Anyone want to take a stab at it?  I know I'd be appreciative.  I am
running a debug kernel with everything I could find and enable I even
remotely thought might prove helpful.  Nothing has jumped out yet though.

> git.kernel.org seems to be down as well.

git isn't down, but it has been unbelievably busy.  Loads are *only* in
the 60's right now (they have been spiking above 300)

I did mention the loads and the spikes yesterday:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/12/20/317

and you can see the loads on the odins (the ones that deal with git) here:

http://cacti.kernel.org/graph_view.php?action=tree&tree_id=3

We are down from the 2700 or so simultaneous git processes to only about
1600 right now (which again the normal range is 100-200).  The onslaught
is subsiding, as it does with any big release, just no one knew it was
going to be nearly as big as it has turned out to be.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley