Subject: Re: [PATCH] gpio: add GPIOF_ values regardless on kconfig settings

From: Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 20:45:43 -0700

On 06/03/11 10:42, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Mark Brown
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 11:04:52AM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
>>
>>> I ended up not pushing this one to Linus.  Turns out it causes other
>>> breakage on other platforms that don't include include/linux/gpio.h.
>>> Since I don't have confidence that I'll be able to find all the
>>> offenders, I'm dropping it.  I recommend making any drivers that are
>>
>> So, this originally came about because I pushed back on adding random
>> dependencies like this for features which are pretty much optional in
>> drivers - their use of GPIOs is totally optional and the dependencies
>> are just too fragile, leading to noise with all the randconfigs.  It
>> seems better to get the architectures to keep up with enhancements to
>> gpiolib (or convert to it) than to have to worry about this in drivers.
> 
> Fair enough.  Randy, if you or someone else can check that all GPIOF_
> users have the required #include <linux/gpio.h>, then I'm okay with
> this patch.

OK, I'll look at that.

Do you have any examples of builds that failed with this patch?

thanks,
-- 
~Randy
*** Remember to use Documentation/SubmitChecklist when testing your code ***