Subject: Re: linux-next: merge of the arm tree into the at91 tree

From: Nicolas Ferre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:56:26 +0100

On 01/26/2012 11:36 PM, Stephen Rothwell :
> Hi all,
> 
> I noticed that the for-next branch of the arm tree has been merged 
> into the at91 tree.  My understanding (and Russell, please correct 
> me if I am wrong) is that the for-next branch is *not* stable and 
> may be rebased. This will cause all sorts of problems in
> linux-next in the future (and also when Russell or the arm=soc guys
> merge the at91 tree into theirs).
> 
> In fact, I am going to have problems today as Russell has already 
> rebase his for-next branch.  :-(
> 
> I assume that the merge was done to fix some conflicts or pick up 
> some functionality that is in Russell's tree.  This should be done 
> by merging topic branch(es) of that tree that Russell has 
> explicitly said are stable.

Yes, I was anticipating a stable branch from Russell and never should
have pushed into a branch that would have gone to linux-next: My
mistake, sorry.

Note that my intention was not to use this branch or one based on
rmk/for-next in any "pull request". It was just a hint for people that
wanted to work on at91 for 3.4...

So, Stephen, can I ask you to remove the at91-next branch from your
pull list. For the moment we can rely on arm-soc guys to experiment
our changes in linux-next. It may be simpler for everyone.

thanks for your understanding, best regards,
- -- 
Nicolas Ferre