Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Apr 29 (many build errors when PROC_FS is not set -- part 1)

From: Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 10:13:17 -0700

On 04/29/13 02:17, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
> Changes since 20130426:

Many build errors happen when CONFIG_PROC_FS is not enabled.
This is not new -- I also saw it about 2 weeks ago but did not analyze or report it.

use of PDE_DATA() (from <linux/proc_fs.h>):

drivers/net/wireless/hostap/hostap_ap.c:85:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

fs/afs/proc.c:193:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

drivers/block/pktcdvd.c:2598:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

fs/ext4/super.c:1809:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
fs/ext4/mballoc.c:2263:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
fs/jbd2/journal.c:982:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

net/sunrpc/cache.c:1465:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si_intf.c:2842:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
drivers/gpu/drm/drm_proc.c:66:9: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
net/can/proc.c:381:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
net/can/bcm.c:229:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'PDE_DATA' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]

Al, would it make sense to have a stub for PDE_DATA() in
<linux/proc_fs.h> when CONFIG_PROC_FS is not enabled?

-- 
~Randy