Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for May 1 (media/usb/stk1160)

From: Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 13:58:26 -0700

On 05/01/13 13:53, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Randy, All,
> 
> On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 01:23:25PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> On 05/01/13 12:58, David Rientjes wrote:
>>> On Wed, 1 May 2013, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>>>
>>>>> When CONFIG_SND=m and CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=m and
>>>>> CONFIG_VIDEO_STK1160=y
>>>>> CONFIG_VIDEO_STK1160_AC97=y
>>>>>
>>>>> drivers/built-in.o: In function `stk1160_ac97_register':
>>>>> (.text+0x122706): undefined reference to `snd_card_create'
>>>>> drivers/built-in.o: In function `stk1160_ac97_register':
>>>>> (.text+0x1227b2): undefined reference to `snd_ac97_bus'
>>>>> drivers/built-in.o: In function `stk1160_ac97_register':
>>>>> (.text+0x1227cd): undefined reference to `snd_card_free'
>>>>> drivers/built-in.o: In function `stk1160_ac97_register':
>>>>> (.text+0x12281b): undefined reference to `snd_ac97_mixer'
>>>>> drivers/built-in.o: In function `stk1160_ac97_register':
>>>>> (.text+0x122832): undefined reference to `snd_card_register'
>>>>> drivers/built-in.o: In function `stk1160_ac97_unregister':
>>>>> (.text+0x12285e): undefined reference to `snd_card_free'
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> This kconfig fragment:
>>>>> config VIDEO_STK1160_AC97
>>>>> 	bool "STK1160 AC97 codec support"
>>>>> 	depends on VIDEO_STK1160 && SND
> 
> BTW, can you check that:
>     make silentoldconfig
> does not warn about unmet dependencies for those symbols?

'make silentoldconfig' on the config file that I am using only gives me this:

warning: (VIDEO_EM28XX) selects VIDEO_MT9V011 which has unmet direct dependencies (MEDIA_SUPPORT && I2C && VIDEO_V4L2 && MEDIA_CAMERA_SUPPORT)

>>> This doesn't depend on SND, it depends on SND=y.
>>
>> Maybe this option *should* depend on SND=y, but that's not what the
>> kconfig syntax says.
> 
> I'd say  Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt  is not complete wrt
> the current syntax, grammar and semantics of the language. :-(

OK, that's not surprising.

thanks,
-- 
~Randy