Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] i2c: core: make it possible to match a pure device tree driver

From: Stephen Warren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 17:25:53 -0600

On 06/17/2013 04:15 PM, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Linus Walleij <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Stephen Warren <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>>> This has just shown up in next-20130617, and breaks at least the
>>> TPS65910 and TPS62360 drivers, since they assume that the id parameter
>>> passed to probe is non-NULL. However, now the parameter is NULL since
>>> these drivers have both an ID table and an OF match table.
>>
>> So you mean they come in through the DT boot path and assume
>> that parameter is non-null even though they should not make use of
>> it?
>>
>>> I'd like to suggest this patch be reverted an re-introduced immediately
>>> after the merge window. That should give enough time for everyone to get
>>> a heads-up on fixing any drivers with a similar problem, rather than
>>> trying to cram all that in immediately before the merge window.
>>
>> OK that works for me, I'm not in any hurry.
> 
> Deferring by a merge window isn't going to make it any less painful.

It'll give a lot more time for people to be exposed to the change and
hence find/fix it linux-next rather than seeing it for the first time in
Linus's tree.