Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the squashfs tree

From: Phillip Lougher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 03:06:10 +0000

On 01/11/13 00:57, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Phillip,
>
> After merging the squashfs tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
> ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:
>
> fs/squashfs/decompressor_single.c: In function 'squashfs_decompressor_create':
> fs/squashfs/decompressor_single.c:40:2: error: implicit declaration of function 'free' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>    free(comp_opts);
>    ^

Yup, applied and pushed the wrong patch.

I noticed shortly afterwards, and pushed the correct patch, but you
obviously had already done your pull.

Squashfs: Refactor decompressor interface and code
committer Phillip Lougher <[email-masked]> 2013-10-31 23:06:37 (GMT)

These things happen when you rush to get the patches ready for the linux-next
tree.

Squashfs is spare-time work for me, which means I often have no choice to
work on it during the night.  Previously when pushing such work for the
linux-next tree I notice it never gets picked up until the next day, because
a push at 4 AM is simply too late to get it into the linux-next tree for that
day because you're in Australia.

So I work out you pull around 11 PM GMT my time, and rush to get the patches
ready for then.  Screw up and this time around the process is even more
thankless and humiliating than normal.

Why don't you holier than thou guys get off your pedestals sometime and
see what it's like for the hobbyists who don't get paid to do the work.

Yeah maybe I'm getting to the point where I considering stopping doing
this, because it has become utterly thankless.

Cheers

Phillip

> fs/squashfs/decompressor_single.c:40:2: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'free' [enabled by default]
>
> Caused by commit 99d59ddb8a06 ("Squashfs: Refactor decompressor interface
> and code").
>
> I have used the squashfs tree from next-20131031 for today.
>