Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the block tree with the tree

From: Dave Kleikamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 09:10:39 -0600

On 11/08/2013 01:33 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Btw, I have to state that I very much disagree with dropping the
> direct I/O kernel changes, and I also very much disagree with keeping
> the immutable iovecs in.
> 
> For the latter I think the immutable iovecs are useful and do want to
> see them eventually, but they were merged at the latest possible point
> in the merge window and cause breakage all over the tree, so they very
> clearly are not ready at this point, and I fear even more breakage if
> they do get merged.
> 
> The changes for direct I/O from kernel space have been in for a long
> time, and they are blocking multiple consumers of the interface from
> getting submitted for about a year now.  Even if the guts of the
> direct-io code will get a write based on another patchset from Kent
> that will go on top of the immutable iovec changes we need the
> interfaces now and not another year down the road.

Sorry Christoph,
I guess I made a rash decision to pull this from linux-next. I
underestimated the dependencies others had on this.

Stephen,
How about you pick this up again for now? Unfortunately, I'm going to be
on a cruise next week and basically out of touch after today until a
week from Monday. That will give Kent some more time to ponder things
before I ask Linus to merge it.

Thanks,
Sorry for being a hassle.

Shaggy