Subject: Re: [PATCH V2] regmap: of_regmap_get_endian() cleanup

From: Javier Martinez Canillas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:33:15 +0200

Hello Stephen,

On 08/19/2014 06:49 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> From: Stephen Warren <[email-masked]>
> 
> Commit d647c199510c ("regmap: add DT endianness binding support") had
> some issues. Commit ba1b53feb8ca ("regmap: Fix DT endianess parsing
> logic") fixed the main problem. This patch fixes the other.
> 
> Specifically, restore the overall default of REGMAP_ENDIAN_BIG if none of
> the config, DT, or the bus specify any endianness. Without this,
> of_regmap_get_endian() could return REGMAP_ENDIAN_DEFAULT, which the
> calling code can't handle. Since all busses do specify an endianness in
> the current code, this makes no difference right now, but I saw no
> justification in the patch description for removing this final default.
> 

Yes, I also wondered about the second issue you are mentioning when I was
fixing the main problem. But since Xiubo's patch also set
REGMAP_ENDIAN_BIG as default for both the I2C and SPI buses (making no
difference as you said) I assumed that the intention was to make buses to
explicitly define their default instead of rely on a global one so I just
kept that way.

But I agree with you that is better to go back to the default
REGMAP_ENDIAN_BIG as it used to be before since buses can change the
default if needed anyways.

Best regards,
Javier