Subject: ARM: imx6q fec watchdog timeout with TX ring dump

From: John Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 23:41:38 +0200

Hello everyone,

I've been playing around with a Utilite Pro recently. It features a 
Freescale imx6q with SoC FEC as eth0 and a second ether Intel I211 
interface on PCIE being mapped to eth1 amongst various other bits.

ATM, it's running debian jessie and kernel 3.16.1 with the recent three 
patch sets from Russell King at 
http://ftp.arm.linux.org.uk/cgit/linux-arm.git/log/?h=fec-testing; from 
the tag imx-drm-fixes-urgent to fec-testing, minus the "clear IPV6 
header CS".

During normal operation, I have had the occasional FEC Watchdog Timeout 
(FWT). However, when eth0 und eth1 are bonded to balance-rr mode and two 
independent iperfs cliented by different machines with each 4 threads 
run free on the Utilite, it inevitably comes to FWTs. Raising 
packets_per_slave to four seems to help somewhat.

The bond is routed through two aggregated (trunk) ports on a Netgear 
JGS524E running to the iperf clients.

Drop me a line, if you need more information.

TIA,

John

[1] Patch set A: 
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-July/270173.html
[2] Patch set B: 
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-July/270373.html
[3] Patch set C: 
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-July/270393.html
[4] Linux bonding documentation 
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/bonding.txt
[5] Utilite Pro product page 
http://utilite-computer.com/web/utilite-pro-specifications
[6] Utilite Pro bonding configuration http://www.utilite-co 
mputer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=1980&sid=31eb3a1273da28916d665112f8af2350