Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the akpm-current tree

From: Dave Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 08:14:48 -0800

On 02/25/2016 09:44 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> The addition of the "u64 _pkey" has presumably changed the alignment of
> the enclosing union on (some) 32 bit platforms and so added padding
> after the si_code field.  This is a user API issue. :-(
> 
> [As an aside, I am pretty sure that we should not be using "u64" in a
> uapi header in any case.]

Ahh, so if _addr_bnd wasn't 64-bit-aligned, the compiler is free to
align it and enlarge the structure.  But, this only applied to
architectures where _addr_bnd wasn't 64-bit-aligned:

Would anybody object to _pkey being an 'unsigned long'?  It would at
least keep existing 64-bit userspace (mostly my tests) from having to
change.

Here's the snippet of the struct in question:

>                         union {
>                                 /* used when si_code=SEGV_BNDERR */
>                                 struct {
>                                         void __user *_lower;
>                                         void __user *_upper;
>                                 } _addr_bnd;
>                                 /* used when si_code=SEGV_PKUERR */
>                                 u64 _pkey;
>                         };