Subject: qemu:beagle no longer booting with omap2plus_defconfig in -next

From: Guenter Roeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 10:53:06 -0700

Hi,

since next-20160421, I get the following error and hang when trying to boot
an omap2plus_defconfig image with qemu, machine 'beagle' and omap3-beagle.dtb.
multi_v7_defconfig still works, as does machine 'beaglexm' with omap3-beagle-xm.dtb
and omap2plus_defconfig. This is with Linaro's version of qemu.

nand: timeout while waiting for chip to become ready

The message repeats until the test times out.

Bisect points to "Merge remote-tracking branch 'nand/nand/next'" as the offending
commit. However, the nand/nand/next branch itself is fine, as is the merge just
prior to the nand/nand/next merge ("Merge remote-tracking branch 'l2-mtd/master'").

After some digging, I found that reverting commit "mtd: nand: omap2: Implement
NAND ready using gpiolib" fixes the problem. What I don't know, though, is why
the problem is only seen with omap2plus_defconfig, but not with multi_v7_defconfig,
and why it is only seen with beagle/omap3-beagle.dtb but not with
beaglexm/omap3-beagle-xm.dtb.

The 'rb-gpios' property is only defined in omap3-beagle.dts, but not in
omap3-beagle-xm.dts, which may be part of the explanation. That still doesn't
explain, though, why multi_v7_defconfig still works, but not omap2plus_defconfig.

Any ideas, anyone ?

Thanks,
Guenter