Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Jan 20 -- Kernel panic - Unable to mount root fs

From: Paul Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 10:06:18 -0500

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 04:36:38 AM Al Viro wrote:
> Another thing I really do not understand is
> +               if (inode->i_ino) {
> +                       /* valid inode number, use that for the ...
> +                       if (n->ino != inode->i_ino ||
> +                           n->dev != inode->i_sb->s_dev)
> +                               continue;
> in __audit_inode().  We don't *have* dentries with dentry->d_inode->i_ino ==
> 0. Ever.  WTF is that about?  Paul?

Likely stupidity on my part.  It looks like a typo, that first if conditional 
should check "n->ino" instead of "inode->i_ino"; in __audit_getname() we 
record names without any inode numbers, so we need to see if this is one of 
those records.  Interesting that it passed my testing; either my testing is 
crap (always a strong possibility) or something else came to the rescue.  I'm 
still coming up to speed on the audit/VFS code ...

I'll fix that up and include in the next patchset once we resolve this issue.

-- 
paul moore
security @ redhat