Subject: Re: linux-next: unneeded merge in the security tree

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:30:04 -0700

Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]> writes:

> What if we added the ability to do something like this:
>
> [remote "origin"]
> 	url = git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> 	fetch = +refs/heads/master:refs/heads/master
> 	mergeoptions = --ff-only
>
> This would be an analog to branch.<name>.mergeoptions, but it would
> apply to the source of the pull request, instead of the destination.
>
> That way, people who do a "git pull" from Linus's tree would get the
> protection of --ff-only, while pulls from submaintainer trees would
> automatically get a merge commit, which is what we want.
>
> It doesn't handle the case of a submaintainer pulling from a
> maintainer in a back-merge scenario, but that should be a pretty rare
> case, so maybe that's OK.

Is there an escape hatch for that rare case?  IOW, how does a
submaintainer who configured the above to override --ff-only?