Subject: Re: linux-next: rr tree build failure

From: Siarhei Liakh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 23:00:38 -0400

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Rusty,
>
> Today's linux-next build (powerpc ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:
>
> kernel/module.c: In function 'set_section_ro_nx':
> kernel/module.c:1549: error: implicit declaration of function 'set_memory_ro'
> kernel/module.c:1560: error: implicit declaration of function 'set_memory_nx'
> kernel/module.c: In function 'unset_section_ro_nx':
> kernel/module.c:1575: error: implicit declaration of function 'set_memory_rw'
>
> Caused by commit 25306e21864c2a220d6fa2e0632425028aa9626c
> ("module:ro-nx-protection") which uses these interfaces that are only
> defined on x86 ...
>
> I have used the version of the rr tree from next-20090908 for today.

I have posted a replacement patch for that commit: "[PATCH v6] RO/NX
protection for loadable kernel modules"
Please let me know if you would rather see a short "patch patch"
rather than complete patch replacement. The fix, essentially, is to
encapsulate entire bodies of unset_section_ro_nx() and
set_section_ro_nx() inside #ifdef CONFIG_X86 ... #endif. This way
set_memory_* will be called only on x86.

Thanks.