Subject: Re: enabling COMPILE_TEST support for GCC plugins in v4.11

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 15:43:58 +1000

[Old thread just popped up in my inbox]

Kees Cook <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 5:52 PM, Paul Gortmaker
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Kees Cook <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to get the GCC plugins building under
>>> allyesconfig/allmodconfig for -next soon (with the intention of
>>> landing the change in v4.11). Specifically, I intend to revert
>>> a519167e753e ("gcc-plugins: disable under COMPILE_TEST").
>>
>> If I recall correctly, I noted that the plugins broke the kernel.org
>> cross compiler toolchains which led to the above disable.
>
> Do you mean these?
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/

I think those are the ones Paul is talking about.

Those were mostly built by Tony, who is know, sadly, an Openstack
developer and for some reason doesn't seem to have time to build
toolchains for kernel hackers :P

As folks may have seen on LWN, there are now pre-built toolchains for
many architectures available from the Free Electrons guys, so that may
help to unblock this situation somewhat:

http://toolchains.free-electrons.com/

cheers