Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the block tree

From: Andreas Hindborg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2026 19:25:00 +0100

"Mark Brown" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2026 at 07:55:39PM +0100, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2026 at 3:56 PM Mark Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> > We do really want things to respect O=, all the -next builds are using
>> > that, so if anything shows up in the source tree that's a concern.  I am
>> > bodging that for the kselftest build at the minute but it's not great.
>
>> Not sure what you mean about `O=`. Using `O=` is supported (both for
>> the subdir and external dir cases which are slightly different in the
>> build system). Modulo bugs, of course.
>
>> If you mean to ask whether `rustfmt` creates files: no, it replaces
>> in-place, i.e. by `git status` I meant you would see modified files,
>> not new ones.
>
> I was asking because you were mentioning checking git status and since
> we are doing out of tree builds there should be nothing changing in the
> source at all.  I think with the way we get trees to the build machine
> it won't make a difference in the end though if no new files are
> created so it'll actually be fine...

The `rustfmt` target will change the source directory even when building
with `O=...`, if it decides formatting changes are required.

Best regards,
Andreas Hindborg