Subject: Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the akpm-current tree

From: Jonathan Corbet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 17:09:20 -0600

Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> writes:

[Adding Mauro]

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 11:18:11 -0700 Minchan Kim <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 04:35:22PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > 
>> > After merging the akpm-current tree, today's linux-next build (htmldocs)
>> > produced this warning:
>> > 
>> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-kernel-mm-cma:2: WARNING: Inline interpreted text or phrase reference start-string without end-string.
>> > 
>> > Introduced by commit
>> > 
>> >   439d477342a3 ("mm: cma: support sysfs")
>> >   
>> 
>> Hmm, I don't get it what happened here. Was it false-positive?
>
> I get the above from a "make htmldocs" run ... I don't know what causes
> it, sorry.  [cc'ing Jon]

OK, this took a while to figure out.  The problem is this text in
sysfs-kernel-mm-cma:

> 		Each CMA heap subdirectory (that is, each
> 		/sys/kernel/mm/cma/<cma-heap-name> directory) contains the
> 		following items:

When scripts/get_abi.pl sees the /sys/kernel/mm/... string it wants to
turn it into a link to the matching ABI entry; at that point, the
<text in angle brackets> collides with the Sphinx directive and you get
that totally useless warning.

I think this is a bug in get_abi.pl.  Honestly I wonder if all these
cross-links are needed at all; if they truly are, then we shouldn't be
making bogus ones.  Mauro, how hard would it be to make this do the
right thing?

Thanks,

jon