Subject: Re: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commit in the powerpc tree

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2021 17:42:50 +1000

Stephen Rothwell <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hi all,
>
> Commit
>
>   77bbbc0cf848 ("KVM: PPC: Book3S HV: Fix TLB management on SMT8 POWER9 and POWER10 processors")
>
> is missing a Signed-off-by from its author.

That was actually deliberate.

Suraj wrote the patch when he was at IBM, but never sent it.

Paul & Nick then resurrected it from some internal tree, and are now
submitting it on behalf of IBM.

So they are asserting option b) of the DCO AIUI:

  (b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best
      of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source
      license and I have the right under that license to submit that
      work with modifications, whether created in whole or in part
      by me, under the same open source license (unless I am
      permitted to submit under a different license), as indicated
      in the file

cheers