Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Sep 19 (make htmldocs problem)

From: Jonathan Corbet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2025 13:27:48 -0600

Randy Dunlap <[email-masked]> writes:

> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Sep 11 01:42 /usr/bin/sphinx-build -> alts*
>
> $ file  /usr/bin/alts
> /usr/bin/alts: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 4.3.0, BuildID[sha1]=17681640c9985eb36ae6d9eca0f08159509386c4, stripped

That is clearly the problem, when combined with this code in
sphinx-build-wrapper:

>             if self.venv:
>                 cmd = ["python"]
>             else:
>                 cmd = [sys.executable,]
>             cmd += [sphinx_build]

Mauro, what is the reason for explicitly interposing the interpreter
there rather than just invoking the sphinx-build binary directly?  It
seems like we could take that out and make this problem go away?

Thanks,

jon