Subject: Re: lockup and kernel panic in linux-next-202505{09,12} when compiled with clang

From: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2025 00:33:39 +0200

On Tue, May 13 2025 at 18:48, Bert Karwatzki wrote:
>> 
>> I'll now start a bisection where I revert 76a853f86c97 where possible in
>> order to find the remaining bugs.
>
> The second bisection (from v6.15-rc6 to next-20250512) is finished now:
>
> This commit leads to lockups and kernel panics after
> watching ~5-10min of a youtube video while compiling a kernel,
> reverting it in next-20250512 is possible:
> 76a853f86c97 ("wifi: free SKBTX_WIFI_STATUS skb tx_flags flag")
> This commit leads to the boot failure, reverting leads to the
> compile error it is supposed to fix:
> 97f4b999e0c8 ("genirq: Use scoped_guard() to shut clang up")

I really have a hard time to understand what you are trying to explain
here. 'This commit leads..' is so unspecified that I can't make any
sense of it.

Also please make sure that you have commit b5fcb6898202 ("genirq: Ensure
flags in lock guard is consistently initialized") in your tree when
re-testing. That's fixing another subtle (AFAICT clang only) problem in
the guard conversion. If it's not in next yet, you can just merge

   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git irq/core

into next or wait for the next next integration.

Thanks

        tglx