Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the userns tree

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 14:50:42 -0800

Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 08, 2013 at 05:58:48PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>> 
>> After merging the userns tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc
>> ppc64_defconfig) failed like this:
>> 
>> fs/namei.c: In function 'covered':
>> fs/namei.c:3528:2: error: too many arguments to function '__lookup_mnt'
>>   is_covered = d_mountpoint(dentry) && __lookup_mnt(mnt, dentry, 1);
>>   ^
>> 
>> Caused by my incomplete merge resolution between commits 474279dc0f77
>> ("split __lookup_mnt() in two functions") from the vfs tree and
>> a3b4491433f2 ("vfs: Don't allow overwriting mounts in the current mount
>> namespace") from the userns tree.
>
> Btw, I don't think the userns tree has any business touching lookup
> and mount semantics in namei.c without an explicit VFS signoff.
>
> Please drop the tree for now.

This is ultimatley a pretty siginficant bug user namespace fix.  So the
code absolutely has business being in the user namespace tree.  The code
has been reviewed and people did not scream.  I asked if Al wanted to
take the patches and if not I would take them through my tree.

Al was watching the conversation so I assumed that no answer to that
request was sufficient to take these patches in my tree.

I fully intend to take responsibility for these patches and work through
whatever issues they have, and I intend to send Linus my pull request.
As such dropping the userns tree from linux-next seems inappropriate.

Eric