Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the sound-asoc tree

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 22:11:44 +1100

Mark Brown <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 03:29:55PM +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>> Mark Brown <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> > Hrm, seems PowerPC is still not using the common clock API - is there
>> > any plan for that?  There are some ASoC PowerPC uses so it's going to be
>> > a bit of an issue as we expand our use of the clock API.
>
>> I don't know anything about the common clock API. What would it involve
>> for powerpc to use it?
>
> It's what's in drivers/clk - you'd have to provide clock drivers for all
> the clocks that are current supported by arch-specific code, make sure
> that those drivers can be instantiated and then remove the custom
> implementation of the clock API in arch/powerpc in favour of those.

OK. I realise we do have some support for the common clock API, but only
on certain sub-platforms (PPC_MPC512x, PPC_MPC52xx, PPC_E500MC).

On other platforms we have nothing at all AFAICS.

Seems Ben posted an RFC to support it in 2009, but nothing since:
  http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/31551/

Anyway I think what you've done in next, make the code depend on
COMMON_CLOCK, is the best option. If anyone cares about that driver on
powerpc platforms that don't support COMMON_CLOCK they should speak up.

cheers