Subject: Re: linux-next: manual merge of the mm-unstable tree with the drm-misc-fixes tree

From: "Danilo Krummrich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2025 11:07:26 +0200

On Wed Aug 13, 2025 at 5:59 AM CEST, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Thanks.
> Well that's messy.

I think it's not too bad, the changes are just too close to each other -- no
semantic conflict.

As a general heads-up, Rust code is a bit more prone to conflicts.

On one hand this is due to the more powerful type system and components of
different subsystems being a bit closer connected to each other to provide
additional safety guarantees.

On the other hand, there's simply a lot of foundational work going on in
parallel.

For the Rust parts that are maintained under your mm tree, I think it should
generally stay well within limits though.

> Is it intended that the containing series ("Alloc and drm::Device
> fixes") be merged into 6.17-rcX?

Yes, not sure if it will be in -rc2 already, but should be in -rc3. So, the
conflict in -next should vanish in case you backmerge the corresponding -rc.