Subject: linux-next: circumvention and ignorance (was: Re: linux-next: Tree for July 22)

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:49:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

Looking at today's http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/matrix/, there's
plenty of red, and not only in the linux-next division :-(

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> We are up to 105 trees (counting Linus' and 14 trees of patches pending for
> Linus' tree), more are welcome (even if they are currently empty).
> Thanks to those who have contributed, and to those who haven't, please do.

We still see regular merging of trivially breaking patches that
apparently never have been in linux-next...

> The ttydev tree was partially merged upstream and gained so many
> conflicts that I have temporarily dropped it.

Worse, we're seeing things getting merged that have been known-broken in
several linux-next incarnations during the last few weeks...

Now we have such a great thing like linux-next (thanks, Stephen! You
saved my day a lot lately), perhaps we should start making full use of
it?

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds