Subject: Re: linux-next: ttydev tree build failure

From: Geert Uytterhoeven <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 20:55:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Update all drivers when making core tty infrastructure changes?
> > Thanks!
> 
> I don't have an Amiga with that board, I don't have an obscure VME 68K
> board. The changes required at this point would be tricky to verify
> without hardware, and the upcoming changes will require significant
> changes to all the hardware drivers, which will need someone to actually
> maintain the drivers, or to drop them.

IC, testing/maintaining non-trival changes is a different situation.

But it would still be nice to announce such removals/breakings in advance,
cfr. Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt. At least we knew the old
NCR53C9x core was going away, taken with it all drivers depending on it...

Anyone who cares about these drivers (ser_a2232 and vme_scc, perhaps
others?)?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email-masked]

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
							    -- Linus Torvalds