Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for Apr 16 (objtool: warnings)

From: Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 15:34:32 +0200

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 10:50:49AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> On 4/16/21 4:36 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > 
> > Changes since 20210415:
> 
> 
> on x86_64, objtool is not liking retpoline.o:
> 
> $ gcc --version
> gcc (SUSE Linux) 7.5.0
> 
> 
> Is there already a patch for these?
> 
> 
> ===== build-r8840.out =====
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_rax()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_rbx()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_rcx()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_rdx()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_rsi()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_rdi()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_rbp()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_r8()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_r9()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_r10()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_r11()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_r12()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_r13()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_r14()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup
> arch/x86/lib/retpoline.o: warning: objtool: __x86_indirect_alt_call_r15()+0x0: call without frame pointer save/setup

Damn, sorry I missed this. I know what the problem is, but I've yet to
find a solution that's not terrible... hold on.